Monday, March 07, 2005

A weekend without Amma

This weekend was a really relaxing one. After almost 2 months I spent the whole of weekend at home. But the best or should I call it the worst part was that amma was not in town right from Wednesday. So weekend was kind of not very relaxing.

We don’t realis how much mom’s work in the house when they are there. It is so nice to get back home at 7.30 in the evening shouting from the door “Amma wats for dinner”. And then shout at her if she has made something we don’t like. These 4 days was truly difficult. Get up in the morning, make the bed. When amma is around, we are so lazy that we just get up and dash into the kitchen for T which ready and is piping hot. Now I had to make the bed, clean the room and then make T for Nandu and myself. Then I had to make breakfast. That’s easy when compared to cleaning the vessels. I don’t know from where sink gets filled with vessels. The sink is like “Akshaya Patram”, it just does not become empty at all. And the evenings, get back and cook, wash vessels, do a little bit of cleaning. My god mom’s truly have a long day at home.

So I thought this weekend, I should relax and have a good time. I was not keeping well the whole week. If amma was around, I would have got up not a minute less than 9:30 or 10. But this Saturday I was up by 6:15, making breakfast and T and packing dabbas for appa n Nandu. Then there were instructions for washing a whole load of clothes, had to dry them, give them for ironing. The servant maid turned up after 3 days, so had to be behind her back and make her do all the bit of cleaning. By the time AI finished all this it was 11. So then I decided to have my weekly luxurious oil bath. I missed amma the most at this time. It was so difficult to take clothes out of almirah with oily hands. If amma was around, all I would do is go to the bathroom, and then shout from there for things like towel, podi, and what not and what not. After the bath, I had to have lunch all alone, which I am just not used to. After which had a nice long nap for around 4 hours. Then my sis and appa came back, we watched kannathil mutham ittal on sun TV got dinner from outside and slept late. Sunday also was uneventful with the same old chores. But it was more relaxing as I had finished all the cleaning, and Nandu was there at home to help me out in washing vessels. Appa was a great sport and adjusted by eating all that we cooked. He also helped us in the doing the vessels one night. Then we just lazed around the whole day doing nothing but watching TV and waiting for amma to come.

I hope to have a seriously relaxing weekend this week with amma around and me bossing her around like always. Love u amma!!!

7 comments:

parikrama said...

In Office we have our Casual Leaves , Privilege Leaves etc.. I think all the Amma's of the world should also be entitled for minimum of 30 Days Off from house work per year..

Justice To All House-Mom's Of The World !!

anagha said...

IBL--what u say is true, at times we get lazy right:D

Parikrama--true..good suggestions. Or atleast we shud give then sundays as off and do all the work

Anonymous said...

i once read some article somewhere that suggests giving a monetary value to the work done by homemakers and add that to the GDP...apparently the economies of a lot of countries would look a lot healthier if this was done...:-))

DilettanteMoi said...

You have a weekly luxurious oil bath????? Wow!! :)

thoughtraker said...

Thank you Anagha, since I'm the Amma of my house! :D

DilettanteMoi said...

Wha?? Ananth does that too [and he shared that information with you SSM????]? I thought that practice of bathing ended in the 16th century, no?

anagha said...

yetanother1----hats to to all mom's and to u too

ssm---the weekly oil bath si really so relaxing and great

funnycide---yup i have them and tehse baths are really rejuvenating nad great

buckwaasur-- hope soemthing like this starts. It will be great